By Thomas Clarkson
Because the topic of the next paintings has thankfully develop into of overdue a topick of dialog i will not commence the preface in a way extra passable to the sentiments of the benevolent reader than via giving an account of these humane and important people who've endeavoured to attract upon it that percentage of the publick realization which it has bought.
Read Online or Download An Essay on the Slavery and Commerce of the Human Species Particularly the African: Translated from a Latin Dissertation Which Was Honoured With the First Prize in the University of Cambridge, for the Year 1785, With Additions PDF
Similar african books
This quantity comprises chosen, refereed papers from the 9th convention of the Society for Judaeo-Arabic reports held at Emory college, Atlanta, in 1999. The identify of this quantity, "Esoteric and Exoteric facets in Judeo-Arabic tradition" highlights the topic operating via a few of the convention papers: the range and energy of Judeo-Arabic tradition.
This entire paintings examines ways that constructing international locations may possibly in achieving financial, political and social reconstruction within the wake of armed clash. foreign researchers speak about such matters as girls and youngsters within the restoration method, refugees and the position of reduction, the reintegration of ex-combatants and community-led restoration.
This e-book discusses the event of approximately 100,000 French colonial prisoners of struggle captured by way of Nazi Germany in the course of global struggle II. Raffael Scheck indicates that the German therapy of French colonial squaddies greater dramatically after preliminary abuses, prime the French professionals in 1945 to think that there has been a potential German plot to instigate a uprising within the French empire.
- Lift every voice: African American oratory, 1787-1900
- Black consciousness in South Africa: the dialectics of ideological resistance to white supremacy
- Technology Transfer and Economic Growth in Sub-Sahara African Countries: Lessons from East Asia
- Esoteric and Exoteric Aspects in Judeo-Arabic Culture
- Conflict and Intervention in the Horn of Africa
- My African Travels
Additional info for An Essay on the Slavery and Commerce of the Human Species Particularly the African: Translated from a Latin Dissertation Which Was Honoured With the First Prize in the University of Cambridge, for the Year 1785, With Additions
Now, as the principles of reparation and punishment are thus inapplicable to the prisoners, taken in a publick war, and as the right of capture, as we have shewn before, is insufficient to intitle the victors to the service of the vanquished, it is evident that slavery cannot justly exist at all, since there are no other maxims, on which it can be founded, even in the most equitable wars. But if these things are so; if slavery cannot be defended even in the most equitable wars, what arguments will not be found against that servitude, which arises from those, that are unjust?
Thus has Africa, for the space of two hundred years, been the scene of the most iniquitous and bloody wars; and thus have many thousands of men, in the most iniquitous manner, been sent into servitude. ***** FOOTNOTES [Footnote 043: Jure Gentium servi nostri sunt, qui ab hostibus capiuntur. Justinian, L. 1. 5. 5. ] [Footnote 045: Nam sive victoribus jure captivitatis servissent, &c. Justin, L. 4. 3. ] [Footnote 046: Neque est contra naturam spoliare eum, si possis, quem honestum est necare. Cicero de officiis.
3. ] [Footnote 047: 1. Ut liberi suis legibus viverent. Livy, L. 30. 37. 2. Decem millia talentum argenti descripta pensionibus aequis in annos quinquaginta solverent. Ibid. 3. Et naves rostratas, praeter decem triremes, traderent, elephantosque, quos haberent domitos; neque domarent alios; Bellum neve in Africa, neve extra Africam, injussu P. R. gererent, &c. ] ***** CHAP. VIII. We shall beg leave, before we proceed to the arguments of the purchasers, to add the following observations to the substance of the three preceding chapters.